U.S. LAUNCHED CYBER ATTACK ON IRAN’S MISSILE AND ROCKET SYSTEMS UNDER TRUMP’S COMMAND – REPORT

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

U.S. Cyber Command. U.S. Air Force/Technical Sgt. Cecilio Ricardo

23/6/2019

U.S. President Donald Trump approved a cyber-attack that targeted missile and rocket control systems of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), the Washington Post reported on June 22.

Sources affiliated with the issue told Washington Post that the attack was conducted on June 20 by the U.S. Cyber Command (CYBERCOM) in coordination with the military’s Central Command (CENTCOM). According to the sources, the attack was in the works “for weeks if not months.”

The idea of launching a cyber-attack on Iran was reportedly suggested by the Pentagon following the recent attack on oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman, a week before the downing of the U.S. spy drone off Iran’s shores.

Washington Post said that the cyber-attack was crippling to Iran’s military command and control systems. However, no one was injured or killed.

“This is not something they can put back together so easily,” one of the sources told the Washington-based newspaper.

Last April, the U.S. designated the IRGC as a foreign terrorist organization, which explains how Trump was able to authorize such a large-scale covert attack.

Earlier this week, Trump revealed that he ordered a strike on Iran, but then called it back when he learned that it could lead to a high number of casualties. The cyber-attack was apparently the alternative.

Iran, which is known for conducting cyber activities against U.S. military and intelligence assets in the Middle East, has not commented on the Washington Post’s report, so far.

source:https://southfront.org/u-s-launched-cyber-attack-on-irans-missile-and-rocket-systems-under-trumps-command-report/